TPJ 3M – Semester 2
June 3, 2015
Today, you will be looking at X-Rays online. Do a google image search to find X-Rays of the following :
Find 4 X-Rays that display fractures in bone
In the end, I would like you to construct 2 entire human skeletons using x-ray images found online, as a class. 1 of a healthy individual, and 1 with at least 2 broken bones.
May 25, 2015 – Ontario Skills Passport
Visit the Ontario Skills Passport here – http://www.skills.edu.gov.on.ca/OSP2Web/EDU/Welcome.xhtml
Navigate to the section of “Use the OSP to support the development of your IPP”
From there, choose “Choose a self-assessment”
Start with “Tasks I do in Everyday Life” and “Tasks I do or have done at work”
If you are prompted for an NOC code, you may choose from one of the following –
3152 – Registered Nurse, 3234 – Paramedic, 3414, Other health care provider
When you have completed the Self Assessment, save the resulting page as a PDF and print out the result for reference. This will be included in you health care portfolio.
May 21, 2015 – Public Health Care exploration
Today, we will be looking a public health care in Canada. Today, you will begin by looking at this educational website, Making Medicare (click for link)
Using this website, and other online resources, answer the following questions:
1. When did public health care become universal in Canada?
2. How does Public health care affect the rate of pay of a doctor or nurse?
3. Are there any other countries in Canada that have a system similar to Canada?
4. Are there aspects of a 2-tiered system already in place? Are there any examples of this?
May 19, 2015
What is your health care portfolio?
Course expectation D3.5 states that, as students, you must “maintain an up-to-date portfolio that includes pieces of work and other materials that provide evidence of their skills and achievements in health care (e.g. Passport to Safety certificate, reports, assignments, Ontario Skills Passport Work Plan) and explain why having a current portfolio is important for career development and advancement.
Many of the assignments you have been given so far have been instructed to “save a copy for inclusion in your health care portfolio.” This is where this comes in to play. In the coming week, I will be presenting to you what will be expected for a completed portfolio by the end of the semester. Have a look at the assignments you have completed and which ones you feel would be worthy of inclusion in this. You may include all of these, but you will only be required to submit your best 5.
Health Care Portfolio
As your final task, you will prepare a portfolio of your work, which will include :
(1) Covering page/ intro page (depending on what format you choose to compile this)
(5) assignments which interested you the most, this can include your childrens book, and your community health initiative. Any of the assignments posted on this page can be included in your health care portfolio.
(2) Career investigations (As per previous Career assignments)
(1) Ontario Skills passport work plan or individual pathways plan
(1) Explanation of why having a current portfolio is important for career development and advancement.
You are to compile this work, in the form of : A Microsoft Word Document, A Power Point Presentation, a webpage, or a video.
May 7, 2014
Today, you are to identify and describe a community health and social service that help people maintain active and healthy lives. Specifically, you will be looking at Meals on Wheels.
In order to identify and describe this program, you are to research the following :
1. Who does meals on wheels service?
2. Where does meals on wheels take place?
3. How does meals on wheels help people maintain active and healthy lives (think from a medical and holistic perspective)
4. Does meals on wheels exist in Dryden? Where is it, and how would you get involved?
May 6, 2014
Today will be the start of your year-end health care portfolio. This portfolio will consist of work, a majority of which you have already completed or will be very familiar to you. One aspect you will work on will be compiling a portfolio of health care careers.
The careers you will research today are : Medical Laboratory Technologist, Ambulance Paramedic and Blood Phlebotomist. For each of these careers, you must find the following :
-Details of Job (be specific with this, if there is a large range of duties, please list them all)
-Prospective workplaces/ employers (where do these people work)
-Job prospects (how many jobs are there out there)
-Rate of pay – Starting rate, and highest end rate.
Research this, and save it in a file you will be able to access again as it will be part of a longer term health care portfolio.
April 27, 2015 : Canada’s food guide
Students are to review the article “Canada’s food guide is broken, and no one wants to fix it”
Once students have read the article, they are to come up with 3 suggestions of how to “fix” the Canada’s food guide.
Record these answers in your notes and we will discuss them tomorrow.
April 21, 2015: Naturopathy.
After being introduced to Naturopathic medicine yesterday, we will dig deeper today, forming an opinion about the use of naturopathic medicine.
For this, you are to research 3 cases where naturopathic medicine has improved a patients quality of life, and 3 cases where naturopathic medicine has been detrimental to people’s quality of life.
When complete, make a judgement, referring to specific examples, of wether you would suggest a naturopathic doctor to a family member or someone you love.
We will take up these responses orally tomorrow.
April 15, 2015 – Aboriginal Medicine Wheel
Today, we are looking at the aboriginal medicine wheel. For many of us, this is the first look at this subject. Here are some starting points :
Try to be able to answer the question : “What is the link between the Medicine Wheel and health care?”
We will take this up orally.
April 8, 2015 – Community health initiative
Today we will continue by looking at some Public Health campaigns to see what other campaigns use as their communication methods.
From your work on Tuesday, you should be well on your way to getting an idea of what your public health campaign will look like. In addition to your promotional items and web presence, you will need to prepare the following two items to complete this public health campaign :
A poster or pamphlet – If you have this campaign, you will need print material for the public to take home “for more information.” Make this print material colourful, eye catching, and informative.
A 30 second – 1 minute radio commercial. Try to ensure the radio commercial has a “hook.” Make it interesting, but also you must confine yourself to the 30 second – 1 minute window, so it is radio friendly.
Basics of radio advertising : Click Here
Making a radio commercial : Click Here
April 7, 2015 –
Your community health initiative. Remember, the purpose of this is to Educate the public about choices and changes that they can make to improve their public health.
By the end of today, you should have the following :
1) A partner (or no partner, if you choose to work alone), and a topic/ focus of your community health initiative.
2) A list of at least 3 promotional items you will create/ order for this community health inititive. This can include T-Shirts, Balloons, Key Chains, stickers, any thing you think will work to get the message out on your topic. For each promotional item, you will be required to write a 2-3 sentance explanation regarding why you have chosen this promotional item (ie.. I love T-Shirts and they last a long time…etc etc.) You will not be required to order anything, but you should at least take a screen shot of the items you wish to order, and get a price quote for these items.
3) A plan for a web presence for your public health campaign. This could be a Facebook page, a Twitter account, or a website created using your google k12 account, or anything else (A tumblr, myspace, kik, snapchat, for example.)
April 1, 2015 : Community Health Initiatives
Overall Expectation : Identify and describe different types of community health and social services that help people maintain active and healthy lives.
Background : For many ailments relating to personal lifestyle choices, the best remedy is prevention and assistance in people’s personal lifestyle choices.
Today, you will look at 3 public health initiatives here in Dryden and describe them based on the following criteria :
- -What the focus of the health initiative is.
- -What suggested steps are to prevent illness or disease
- -Who is most vulnerable to become ill, who this initiative is focused at.
- -What resources are available, both online and within the community.
- -Has this initiative been successful in improving people’s health?
Your main resource for this activity will be the northwest health unit’s website – www.nwhu.on.ca
After you have researched 3 different initiatives, start to think about one specific initiative that you would like to create a public information campaign on. You may wish to look at other existing public information campaigns, such as Flavour Gone and Particip-action.
March 30, 2015 : The Flu, Continued
Visit the following sites :
fluwatch – Look at the weekly reports and maps. What is the current state of the flu in Canada?
Are the flu trends consistent from year to year? What was different about 2009-10?
Now visit this site –
Search to find out how successful vaccine producers have been in predicting what strains of flu are used to create the flu vaccines.
Describe, in your own words, exactly how a flu vaccine works.
Email your answer of “how does a flu vaccine work” to email@example.com
March 24, 2015: Standards of practice
After looking at the standards of practice and ethics of different health care professionals, You are to discuss with a partner and determine 4 overarching standards and ethics that all health care professionals.
List the 4 overarching standards that apply to all health care professionals, and answer the following question –
1. Picture yourself in a health care employment situation. What would you do if you saw someone conducting themselves in a fashion that was not consistent with the standards of practice for your professional regulation organization? Look at the available websites to see if there are any suggestions as to how one should conduct themselves in this situation.
Save your 4 points and the answer to the 1 question in a word document, and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
March 23, 2015 : Standards of practice
Visit the following websites, and begin to familiarize yourself with the standards of practice for three different professions :
Do some colleges seem to have more stringent guidelines than others? How much do the standards change between specific professions?
When complete, we will work at determining some overarching guidelines that govern the standards of practice and ethics of health care in Ontario.
March 5, 2015 : Introduction to Cancer
Visit the following website : cancer.org
Look at the three major treatment methods : Radiation, Chemotherapy and Surgery.
Be able to explain why you would choose one method over the other and in what situations these methods would be useful.
March 4, 2015 : Observation day
Today, we will be looking at a setting of physical fitness in children, and making note of any homeostatic imbalances. Watch what the grade 7/8’s are drinking, how often they are drinking, how they look. Keep in mind these are the basic signs of dehydration :
- Reduced Appetite (often despite a lengthy period without food)
- Skin Flushing (especially face and neck)
- Dark Colored Urine (may be confused by supplement use or some foods)
- Dry Mouth (and difficulty producing saliva)
- Mild headache
In addition, I would like you to make note of potential concerns for the tournament. Is there adequate first aid supplies available? Is there an AED? Is it well marked where a first aid station is?
Use today to make these observations, and meet back in the classroom at 10:00 where we can discuss our findings.
March 2, 2015
By the end of today, we will:
Demonstrate an ability to measure the four primary vital signs (Temperature, Pulse, Respiration, Blood pressure)
Assess and document a client’s vital signs
March 3 –
Identify normal values for temperature, pulse, respiration and blood pressure accross the lifespan.
Assess possible health implications of the following abnormal values.
- What does an elevated temperature indicate?
- What does an elevated blood pressure indicate?
Make note of these findings and record for later inclusion in your health care portfolio.
February 23, 2015
Task : Report piece on the current state of vaccinations.
Today, you will begin on an assignment that should take you approximately 3 days to complete. The assignment is a report on the current state of vaccinations in the country, and is intended to emulate a news report in the fashion of “What we know so far”
You may work in a group of 2 or 3 on this, and you have options as to how you wish to submit this, which are :
Recorded word (Podcast) (2+ minute)
Oral presentation (2 minute)
You may start out your report by stating : Vaccines and vaccinations have been making national and global news lately. I am here to inform you on the history, current state, and controversy surrounding vaccinations.
You will want to include the following information :
1. What was the first vaccine?
2. How long have vaccines been used?
3. How common are vaccinations globally?
4. Describe statistics regarding the success rates of vaccines. Include, for example : Changes in death (mortality) rates as a result of vaccines, and increases in life expectancy.
5. Try to answer the following questions : Why is there currently an anti-vaccine movement? How easy is it for a parent to simply choose not to vaccinate their child? Are children required to be vaccinated to enrol in school?
Use today to begin researching these questions, and selecting your group to work with. If you are working with a partner, you may wish to assign certain questions to different individuals in the group.
February 18, 2015
Today, you will familiarize yourself with the aboriginal diabetes initiative.
First : Distinguish between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes
Second : Be able to anwser the question : What is the goal of the aboriginal diabetes initiative?
Third : Determine where you could access help and resources from the aboriginal diabetes initiative in Dryden.
Compile your answers in a word document and email to email@example.com
February 17, 2015
Homeostasis – Human Homeostasis
Homeostasis is the property of a system in which variables are regulated so that internal conditions remain stable and relatively constant.
Today, your task is to research 3 diseases resulting from homeostatic imbalance
Once you have found these diseases, please record the following :
Name of disease
Effect on human body
Why the homeostatic imbalance commonly occurs
Compile your list as a Microsoft Word file and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
February 6, 2015
When completed, we will work in small groups to explore the question “Do new medical procedures receive enough scrutiny before they are allowed to be used on humans?” Search online to see if there are any definite numbers associated with successful procedures, or unsuccessful procedures.
You may look at life- saving procedures, or you may look at non-essential cosmetic surgery techniques.
In addition, try to find if there is a threshold number of complications, where a procedure is no longer practiced due to negative consequences? For example, do 50 people need to show undue harm or illness before questions are raised?
You are to work in a group of 2 or 3. Refer to at least 3 different procedures when discussing the scrutiny aspect. Remember, you are answering the question : Do new medical procedures receive enough scrutiny before they are allowed to be used on humans? Please state your opinion and at least 3 procedures in your response. This should be at least 150 words.
February 4, 2015
In today’s video, it was suggested that one of the leading ways to prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s disease is to avoid foods containing nitrosamines. Nitrosamines are the resulting compound produced when foods containing Nitrates enter the body.
Today’s task is to answer the following 3 questions :
1. Research a list of foods and other substances that are responsible for nitrates entering the body. Describe how these foods could be replaced and eliminated in your own and others’ diets.
2. If an individual close to you was diagnosed with Alzheimers, what supports are there for you to understand how to deal with the individual? Are there local support networks? Provincial? National? International?
3. In terms of living arrangements, are individuals with Alzheimers able to live in assisted living homes, nursing homes, or hospitals? Can individuals with Alzheimers live independently, outside of a facility where care is available?
Answer these three questions and save as a file using Microsoft word. Save your file as alzheimers_firstnamelastname. (example – alheimers_loganlang
email your responses to email@example.com with the subject line “alzheimers.”
February 3, 2015
Today, you will be familiarizing yourself with the following websites :
Greetings! Welcome to TPJ 3M – Health Care.
Your first task for the semester is to make contact with me via email.
My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
In your first email, please state the following :
Previous health care experience (for example, first aid certification, babysitting course, etc.)
Hobbies and interests that you would like to share
In addition, let me know if there is one thing you are interested in learning from this course.