May 23, 2019 –
End Task Introduction –
Your End Task will consist of 4 components – Photography, Video, Current issues, and portfolio –
So far this semester, you have been able to explore the use of the digital SLR camera, in addition to your exisiting photography experience. You will create a photographic masterpiece as part of your end task. Potential ideas include :
- A collage composed of new work, and work from your digital portfolio
- A refined technique such as light painting, panning, or astrophotography
- A focus on one type of photography – portraiture, landscape, hockey, music
- “My favourite vacation” (real or imagined)
- A photo mosaic
- A rework or edit on some of your old photos.
- Another photo idea, approved by teacher.
Video/ Web design/ Audio – So far this semester, you have created a youtube channel, and created short video projects recorded using various devices. You will create a masterpiece in video by the end of this end task. – *Video component may be done in groups.
- Scare video compilation
- Video history of a current pop culture topic or item (rise and fall of fidget spinners, for example)
- Slide show for an upcoming family event (milestone birthday, anniversary)
- Video Time capsule
- Series of interviews addressing a current topic
- A video project consisting of compiling clips of media readily available online
- A video project consisting of compiling clips you have already shot
- A video project of another idea
Current issues in Communications Technology – In the fast-changing world of communications technology, the number of options for alternative media are many. Use the following prompts and use a communications technology based approach to describe an aspect of communications technology you are interested in.
The focus of your project should be Informative, and/or offer a solution to a problem.
Options for describing this project :
- Slide Show
- Other options can be discussed.
Possible subject topics –
- Net Neutrality
- Cyber Bullying
- Cell Phone addiction
- Cell Phone Anxietey
- Social Media induced depression
- Corporate influence on communication technologies (Amazon vs. Youtube)
- Evaluate the societal and cultural effects of converging and emerging technologies
- Describe how cultural diversity can be reflected in media products.
- Analyse the environmental costs and benefits, local and global, of recent innovations in communications technology
- Describe various ways in which ownership may exist and be protected in creative, intellectual and artistic works
- Describe the effects of rapidly changing technology on employment opportunities in communications technology
- Explain the need for lifelong learning in the communications technology industry
- Identify professional organizations associated with the various communications technology fields, and describe their role in professional support and development
- Demonstrate an understanding of an apply techniques for encouraging collaboration and building consensus.
Prepare your flickr account or youtube account (or both) for presentation to others. Arrange all photos in to albums and edit the “about” page to appropriately identify yourself as the author.
May 13, 2019 – Photographic project.
Your assignment is to take a series of at least 5 photos, print them out, and display them in an aesthetically pleasing format.
The photos should :
- follow a common theme or technique
- Include your watermark on all photos
- Include 1 caption – at least 50 words – which will give the viewers more insight in to you as a photographer. You should describe your work first, but you may also include as much biographical information as you wish as well.
- With the assistance of Mr. Darling, you will chose where in the building you would like to hang your finished work.
These photos should represent your best work, and give viewers some insight into your eye as a photographer.
You are allowed to use iPhone photographs.
You are allowed to digitally alter your photographs.
Be sure to pass your ideas past Mr. Darling before you begin.
May 10, 2019 –
- If you have completed the Video Public Service announcement assignment, you are to complete a reflection. In the reflection, you must state :(A)What you are happy with in regards to the completed project. (B) Things you would like to improve upon if you were to complete the assignment again.
- .State what types of Photography you would like to explore with creating over the next week and a half.
Send the responses to both parts 1 and 2 to email@example.com
April 23, 2019 –
Dryden High School admin and teachers encourage students to graduate with a sense of community and with goals and values so they will be contributing members of society. This is to be communicated through character education and the DHS iREACH campaign. A campaign that focuses on teaching students at Dryden High School to foster Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, Integrity, Empathy, Fairness, Initiative, Perseverance, Courage, and Optimism.
Your task is to make a PSA, then roll it into a campaign that focuses on communicating ONE of the following values. In other words, your spot needs to focus on one of the following (not all): Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, Integrity, Empathy, Fairness, Initiative, Perseverance, Courage, and Optimism. Keep in mind, some of them may cross over… The goal of the project is to foster character develop and promote community to build capacity in the school and help graduates become responsible global citizens.
START WITH RESEARCHING the DEFINITION OF THE WORD!
This project will include three phases:
1. Pre-production Process
There will also be opportunities for the students to apply to design process and improve on their skill set as they learn.
Create one final video that speaks to character development. Base your Public Service Announcement campaign on one of the following words: Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, Integrity, Empathy, Fairness, Initiative, Perseverance, Courage, and Optimism. The final product will be “airable” on the school TV station, youtube channel, social media venues and/or on the school’s website. It is to include video, audio and production techniques learned through prior knowledge and through this project. Then, create a second Public Service Announcement to roll the first ad into a campaign.
Today : Activity 1
Activity 1 :
Activity Description: This is the pre-production and planning phase of the iREACH campaign. Student will need to complete a variety of activities and task to come up with an idea to produce. This will include topic research, brainstorming, storyboarding, shotlist production, group debriefing and planning.
- Pick a word
- Research what the definition of the word actually is
- Recall other examples as students brainstorm ideas for their word
- Further development of idea and create a solid plan for filming
Students will pick which word they would like to focus on and start to brainstorm a concept related to it. Student will focus on communicating ONE of the following values: Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, Integrity, Empathy, Fairness, Initiative, Perseverance, Courage, and Optimism. By the close of this activity students will have a solid concept to being the filming or production phase of the project.
April 16, 2019 –
Video continued –
Today, your task is to create a video, no more than 30 seconds in length, which will use Slow Motion, Fast Motion, or reverse footage effectively for humourous or thought provoking effect. Video does not need to be 30 seconds total!
You may do additional searches for more ideas.
April 11, 2019 –
Introduction to Video
By the end of this course, students should have an understanding of video capture, editing, and distribution.
Before starting a video :
- Consider your audience/ purpose of the video. Who do you expect will be watching this video? What will you focus on? How much editing will you perform? What platform will you distribute the video on (if any?)
2. Consider how much editing you plan to do. Consider three levels of editing :
SOOC (Straight out of camera)
Lightly edited – Edits are done for length, potentially a title is added (1 day)
Heavily edited – Edits are done using many clips taken over a period of time. Editing considerations are made to audio, video, titles and transitions. Special effects and graphics overlays may be added.
3. Research your topic – Do searches to see if others have made a video on a similar topic or concept. Are there ideas you wish to use, or add on to?
4. Video Quality – Today, we can capture video from many different sources (classroom cameras, smartphones, even ripped from online sources.) What quality do you wish to make your video? Will you use a tripod or no tripod? Do you wish for your video to have a polished look or more of an “indie” DIY look. There is a time and place for both.
5. Length – In many cases, shorter is better. Think about your own viewing habits – Would you be more inclined to watch a 15 minute video or a 30 second video. Ask yourself, “How long does this video need to be?”
6. Appropriate content – All content in this classroom must be appropriate for a “G” rated audience. This means no swear words. This also means that the content of the video should not make anyone feel uncomfortable in the school or community. Any questions on this can be discussed with your teacher.
We will have a brief introduction on iMovie now.
Your first video assignment has the following parameters :
45 seconds maximum
Suggested topics :
- My favourite place in the school
- My favourite part of the school day
- My favourite time of the school day
- Life tip for making the most of your day at DHS
Video should include some edits (you may take this as an opportunity to show me your personal style)
Video can be done in groups or individually. You may use any of the equipment in the room, or your own.
March 26, 2019 – Student group newspaper assignment.
Starting tomorrow, we will be working on a student newspaper assignment. Using the skills you have acquired so far, you will create a student newspaper which is at least 1 Tabloid sized paper, double sided.
This newspaper should include contributions from all students in your group. Every student should design at least 1 advertisement, and provide at least 1 instance of content. The overall theme of your publication is up to you. Themes I will prompt you with are :
- Student life
- Student sports
- Student arts
- Student voice
- Life in Dryden
You will start by discussing with your group (teacher may facilitate), to determine what each student will contribute. The class will be divided into at least 2 groups for this assignment.
You may start today by browsing some of the print publications Mr. Darling has as examples.
March 21, 2019 – 2 short assignments.
Today, we will be beginning 2 short assignments, 1 is an “eye spy” assignment, 1 is a “word on the street” assignment.
Eye Spy photo – Show off your developing photographic eye by producing an “eye spy” photo. This photo will be very close up, or taken from an unfamiliar perspective. Place the photo on an indesign document and add touches to be visually appealing.
Word on the street – This will require you to take photos of at least 6 people. You will ask 6 people a question, and then record their answer and take a photo of them. Once you have collected all of this information, lay everything out using adobe indesign,
Assignments should both be printed on tabloid sized paper.
March 18, 2019 – Welcome back!
Today, students will have time to make some last changes to the light painting and multiplicity assignments from before the break.
Students who are completely caught up, may begin building their photographic portfolio, and start thinking about a long term photographic project. This project may encompass many different things, including the passage of time. We will start by discussing today.
March 7 & 8, 2019 – If you are completely finished all assigned work, you are to seek out at least 1 story online, relating to communications technology, which you will share when we get back from the break.
March 5, 2019 – Multiplicity Assignment.
- Take 3 or more photos in a tripod without moving the tripod at all.
2. In Photoshop, Edit –>Scripts–>Load files into stack
3. Choose the first layer in the photoshop document, on this layer, create a layer mask.
4. Choose your foreground colour as black and paint over the image of the person.
5. Press Ctrl+I to inverse the image
6. repeat steps 3- 5 until you have completed the image.
7. Save as a .psd and a .jpg file.
February 28, 2019 – Light painting assignment.
For this assignment, you will create 2 works on 11×17 inch (tabloid) sized paper.
1 – Your favourite light painting photo after your experimentation through trial and error. The photo should take up the entire paper, with a 1/2 inch margin. You will identify your work by using a watermark on the photo, added in Photoshop.
2 – A newspaper-style layout with the headling “Light Painting”, “My first light painting” or something to that effect. On the page, you will have at least 6 components, with a layout resembling a magazine or newspaper. The components will be –
- One of your light painting photos
- A photo of you with your light painting setup (lights on)
- In your words, how light painting is done.
- Other applications of light painting
- A famous or impressive light painting image.
- This will all be laid out using portrait format on 11×17 paper.
February 26, 2019 – Introduction to photography.
Today, you will perform a couple of activities to get ready for photography.
Second, explore the following websites – they are camera simulators. You will want to adjust shutter speed, aperature size, and ISO on these simulators, and try to draw conclusions of what these controls do to photographs.
List of 10 different camera simulators (you may wish to check them all out)
Third, explore through the following portfolios –
Last, send me an email answering three points –
- describe your level of experience using Digital SLR cameras. Do you own one? Have you ever used one?
- Describe one technique you would really like to learn with the SLR cameras.
- In a sentance or 2, describe to me why you feel it is necessary to have an understanding of privacy and decency when using cameras. Why is it important to respect privacy in the high school photography classroom?
Send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
When you are complete, you will have free time to continue advancing your skills with Adobe Indesign and Photoshop.
February 21, 2019 – Indesign continued.
By the end of today, students will create a 2 or 3 column text document using Adobe Indesign. Students may copy their text from a Wikipedia page, for example. The document should include :
- Headline text
- subhead text
- a photo, which has text wrap applied to it
- a pull-quote, which has text wrap applied to it.
February 20, 2019 – Indesign continued
By the end of today, students will create a motivational poster (must be positive), and a composite photo which may include typing on a path.
Both of these pieces must be printed out using the classroom printer.
February 19, 2019 – Introduction to Adobe Indesign
By the end of today, students will : Print out a 2 polished works with Adobe Indesign
Your polished work should include :
(1) A background image, Text with Stroke, A well-thought out margin.
(2) A photo (or photos) that have been placed into text.
February 14 & 15, 2019 –
Today you will be working on your first work for assessment. You may choose from one of the below tasks, choose either a or b –
a) Students are to use Adobe Photoshop to create 2 Valentines cards – 1 that is made from a blank canvas, and one that is created with a background image. Your valentines cards should be at least 1000 pixels wide, so that we may print them out.
Using all of your knowledge thus far, including selection tools, gradient tools, blending layers, adding effects to text, writing on a path, and filters, create 2 valentines cards using Adobe Photoshop.
b) Using adobe photoshop, create two works which display both your interests and your abilities with adobe photoshop. Use all of your knowledge thus far, including selection tools, gradient tools, blending layers, adding effects to text, writing on a path, and filters.
WHen complete two images for submission, save them as .jpg files and email to email@example.com
February 13, 2019 –
Today, you are to make a composite image, using at least 5 different subjects to add on to an existing background.
You may wish to start with the DHS Flickr account for possible team images to use.
February 11, 2019 –
Today, get your photo from Mr. Darling’s flickr account.
You are to edit this photo in photoshop,
you should: transfer yourself to a new background, add a filter, and add some text, and add a layer effect to this text. When done, save this photo as a .jpg to your z: drive or to a cloud storage you have (for example, flickr.)
February 8, 2019 –
Students today are to open Adobe Photoshop at the beginning of class and continue to explore with it. Your exploration should include :
- Selecting an item from 1 photo and moving it to a new photo. Remember to use ctrl + t to free transform the moved item.
2. Writing along a path – Yesterday, you learned writing along a path to create a circular logo, today try to continue that while using other shapes. Try to create a triangular logo or an octagonal logo with writing – what looks best?
In addition, once you have made a circular logo, use the shape tools to draw a circle around the logo to make it look complete, and add a line drawing image in the middle. I look forward to seeing your creations!
If you have any work you would like to share from part 1 or 2, please save it as a .jpg and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
February 7, 2019 –
By the end of today –
You will know how to retreive images from google images.
You will have an introduction to Adobe Photoshop
You will perform basic edits to a photo
You will create a basic circle logo using photoshop
Hi! Welcome to Communications Technology.
Your first task is to send me an email to email@example.com
In this email, please include the following information :
How often you use email?
Do you use Social media?
What do you feel you consume more of, Television, Youtube or other (short phone videos)
You may make the subject of the email as “first email”