April 14, 2020 – Today, we will begin to explore the programming language Scratch. You can start by accessing the website –
You can start by accessing the website and creating an account today. We will connect our accounts over this week.
April 8, 2020 – Moving forward, I will be attempting a google hangout tomorrow (thursday) during this normally scheduled class time – I will say 2:00pm (class would normally start at 1:55)
For any students who are able to attend, we can discuss any experiences we have had relevant to the changes we are going through, and talk about what class is going to look like moving forward.
I will send the invite to the google hangout to your k12 account.
April 7, 2020 – As I ensure contact with students and we move forward, I would like you to respond to the following question :
- Formulate a small reflection on how computer technology has helped us or hindered us over the past month. Consider any issues which may have arised, or problems they may have solved.
You may send your response as an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
March 12, 2020 – Computer use – Online gaming
Students in this class are interested in online gaming.
Your task for today is to critically analyze the online game that you are interested in.
Questions include :
Briefly describe the game.
How many active users does it average?
How many active users has it peaked at?
Where is the game hosted?
Is there advertising or in-game purchases involved in this game? Is there any record of how profitable it is?
Clash of Clans Wiki Page
send answers to email@example.com
March 10, 2020 – Semiconductors and USB ports
Today, we will be introduced to Semiconductors and USB ports.
Semiconductors are just as they sound, a material that is between being a conductor and an insulator. They play an important role in computer technology.
USB ports is short for Universal Serial Bus. The USB port is responsible for connecting computer peripherals to the main computer. What has changed about USB technology over the years is the speed of data transfer.
By the end of this lesson, students should be able to articulate how much data transfer speeds have changed since the invention of USB in 1994.
March 9, 2020 – Today, we will be looking just a little closer at the processor chip or CPU –
Review the history of a Microprocessor – These are the important to computers as the architecture of the processor determines the speed the computer works at, which directly affects you as a user interfacing with it.
By the end of today, you should be able to understand CPU speeds on a comparative basis.
March 4, 2020 –
To continue with our building of computers, today we will get hands on with some different computer components. All students will install and remove RAM and a video card, and assemble a basic computer system.
Students are to inspect the following website : pcpartspicker
By the end of today, all students should have done some basic computer building.
February 25, 2020 – “My dream computer”
We are starting a slightly larger assignment today, as it is important to understand what the current market is for computers. For this assignment, you will research 3 different computers for purchase and review their criteria. Of the three computers, one should be a laptop model, for comparisons sake. At the end of the assignment, you will make a justified decision of what computer you would purchase, based upon your research. The assignment will consist of the following :
- Pre-purchase statement. In this statement, you will disclose a little about your demographic – age, school level, level of computer usage, and amount of time you spend using computers. This statement will also reveal what you are looking for in a computer, and what you plan to use it for.
- Statement of criteria – Your statement of criteria should list the following : Brand, Type (desktop/laptop/other), Processor, Hard drive capacity and speed, RAM, Video card, Operating system, Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, Price, Availability, Retailer.
- Find three computers – either comercially available out of box, or built using purchased components. Create a table which lists the above criteria for each of the computers. Include at least 1 photo of the computer.
- Research the hardware requirements of at least 2 types of software – 1 productivity, and 1 other (gaming or other) – State the hardware requirements for this software and wether your selected computers will meet the requirements.
- Make a choice of the 3 computers, which one you would choose to purchase. Make a statement “I would choose this computer over the other 2 computers based upon… (list criteria here)
- 1 essential peripheral – List one (or more, if necessary) essential peripherals you would purchase to complete the system.
- You are to prepare all of your information in an aesthetically pleasing fashion on the publishing software of your choice. You may use google docs or sheets, or any other software that works for you. Your finished product will be saved as a PDF and printed out on the school’s colour printer. Be sure that your assignment has a title and your name on it.
You should start your assignment by searching computer retailers such as Apple, Dell, Lenovo, you may also wish to look at Best Buy or Staples websites. Individual computer components may be purchased at newegg.ca or other retailers of your choice.
February 24, 2020 – Computers and their uses
Today, we will start by reviewing the guide to desktop computers
We will continue by reviewing some classes of computers
Here’s a bit about Computer Peripherals
Finally, we will look at Unique Computer Peripherals
Your task for today is to do the following :
- Find the processor, processor speed, and RAM of the computer you are currently using. Approximately how old is this processor? (to find this, google the name of the processor). In addition, list other information about the performance of the computer you may find.
2. There are many variations on the conventional keyboard – Identify one that is different from the conventional qwerty keyboard that you currently use, and you would want to use.
3. After looking at the list of unique computer peripherals, and searching for more, identify a computer peripheral that you did not know existed.
email your responses to firstname.lastname@example.org
February 20, 2020 –
Today as part of our broader study of computer technology, we look at Larry Tesler, the computer scientist who invented “cut, copy and paste”
Unfortunately the creator of cut, copy, paste has passed away recently, but with this, we have the opportunity to reflect upon our own actions with computers, as Larry Tesler, some may say, is famous for making computers more accessible to users.
Reflect on your own interactions with computers and respond the the following two points :
- Do you use the cut, copy and paste commands often? Do you use the shortcuts of CTRL-X, CTRL-C and CTRL-V, or do you right click? Did you ever consider that it was a single person’s idea to invent this?
2. Think of your own interactions with computers. Can you describe a change in technology that has made it become much more accessible to you? (for example – Siri)
Respond to these questions and send to email@example.com
February 11, 2020 – Introduction to electrical theory.
Today, we will continue with electronic theory.
You will do exploratory work with the following simulator :
After you have constructed at least 3 different circuits, you are to write definitions for the following :
February 10, 2020 – Introduction to computer systems
Today, we will cover a very basic introduction to computer systems.
Visit the following website – How computers work
WHen done, reflect upon the continuing advancements in technology in basic computer systems.
February 7, 2020 –
My Computer Technology Autobiography.
Today, we will combine the two activites we have done so far in order to create a self-profile of our computer technology interactions.
Your self profile must include the following :
At least 2 events from the timeline of computer technology
At least 7 events that are specific to you.
In addition, you must complete the following :
Every day, I spend about this much time interacting with computer technology :
My favourite thing to do with computer technology is :
The best thing I have ever seen a computer do is :
In addition, please include at least 3 photos.
You are to complete your work as a google doc, and send or share to firstname.lastname@example.org
February 6, 2020 –
Visit the website – Timeline of computer technology.
You are to read through the timeline and choose 3 times/events or advancements that have affected you personally.
Comment on the three events in an email and send to email@example.com
February 4, 2020 –
Establishing electronic communication –
Your task for today is to answer the following questions in an email and send to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Assessing my use of computer technology :
- Starting on Sunday, walk yourself through the week and make note of every situation where you interact with computer technology. After you have completed your list, make note of any instances that may surprise you.
2. Is there a use of computer technology that you engage in often? Describe, in your own words, this interaction.
3. Count the hours you spend interacting with computer technology in a day. Periods of time where you are responding to your phone should be considered to be times of use. Compare this to how many times a day you are awake, and calculate a percentage (Divide hours engaged/ hours awake).
4. Do you feel that the societal impacts of computing technology are typically positive, negative, or is it a matter of perspective?
Send your email to email@example.com
When complete, you may use the lab computers. Mr. Darling may ask you what you are doing, you won’t be in trouble.