Block C, S2 – TGJ 3M/4M
May 18, 2017 –
May 3, 2017 –
Photography ideas :
______________ of Dryden –
Fill in the blank with an aspect of Dryden you feel would create a photography project that you are interested in making.
Doors, Buildings, Schools, Police, Firefighters, Houses, Boats etc..
Video Idea – Video time capsule – An old idea with a new twist.
May 1, 2017 –
End Task Introduction –
Your End Task will consist of 3 components – Photography, Video, and other media
Today, you will begin looking at the photography component of the End Task – Is there a specific photographic project you would like to attempt as your photography end task?
So far this semester, you have been able to explore the use of the digital SLR camera, in addition to your exisiting photography experience. You will create a photographic masterpiece as part of your end task.
Video – So far this semester, you have created a youtube channel, and created short video projects recorded using various devices. You will create a masterpiece in video by the end of this end task.
Other media – In the fast-changing world of communications technology, the number of options for alternative media are many. Use the following prompts and use a communications technology based approach to describe an aspect of communications technology you are interested in –
- Evaluate the societal and cultural effects of converging and emerging technologies
- Describe how cultural diversity can be reflected in media products.
- Analyse the environmental costs and benefits, local and global, of recent innovations in communications technology
- Describe various ways in which ownership may exist and be protected in creative, intellectual and artistic works
- Describe the effects of rapidly changing technology on employment opportunities in communications technology
- Explain the need for lifelong learning in the communications technology industry
- Identify professional organizations associated with the various communications technology fields, and describe their role in professional support and development
- Demonstrate an understanding of an apply techniques for encouraging collaboration and building consensus.
Thursday, April 27 –
Students are to continue working on poster designs. If suggested poster subjects do not draw inspiration, students may use a subject of their own choice.
Monday, April 24, 2017 –
Adobe Indesign and print publishing
Today, we will be revisiting poster design using Adobe Indesign CS3. This program is available on all computers, and is a powerful tool for designing sharp posters.
After todays tutorial, you are to begin designing up to 2 posters –
- A poster describing a short cut or handy trick for using a desk top computer, or for using an iphone, gopro, android device, any type of technology
- A poster describing a tip for a beginner digital photography. This may be a fun one, as you will be able to use photos from your own portfolio.
When designing your poster, keep in mind the following :
-CTRL + D to drop an image on to your canvas.
-We have access to over 1000 fonts, consider using only 3.
-All images used in posters should be of highest possible quality.
-Keep in mind the 10 tips for perfect poster design.
Tuesday, April 11, 2017 –
Today, we will continue with our website assignment.
100 Creative Ideas (not all are available)
Have a look at the above link and add to the list of ideas you already have in terms of content for your website.
From here, Have a look at
Best Design Practices (written for wordpress, applicable to all projects.)
Student Website project TGJ 3M/ 4M
- Choose one of the four website platforms you have familiarized yourself with over the last week – Google sites, Wix, WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr or other.
- You may either create a new website or continue with one you have already started. When naming the website, as well as picking the URL for the site, keep in mind that a good website name should be easy to remember, and easy to identify.
- The front page of your website should be welcoming, and make sense to the viewer as they see it. By the end of the week, the front page should have at least 3 posts on it. The first post you will write today, and it will cover the following :
- Explain why you chose the name for the website you did,
- Explain why you chose the platform that you did,
- explain what you plan to put on the website.
- You are to create at least 6 distinct pages within your website – 6 pages that are navigated to beyond the front page.
- 1 page should be your about page – you may keep this brief as you like, and you may be humourous if you wish. The about page is often a place for the site’s builder to show some personality.
- 1 of these pages must feature your own content, relative to something that is of interest to you, or something that would be convenient for you to make an informative page about (photos with captions or writing)
- 1 page must feature embedded content from your youtube and flickr accounts. In addition, try to embed a document or calendar from your Google account.
- 1 page must be a promotion of something you like about Dryden – for example your favourite restaurant, the skate park, the gym, Wabigoon lake, the Dryden Ice Dogs Jr. A hockey club, something specific about Dryden. You may use a school in Dryden – Open Roads, St. Josephs, New Prospect, Lillian Berg, True North Academy, Ecole Catholique le L’Enfant Jesus. You can be creative with this. If you wish to use a different geographic location, you may. You will be able to get original, authentic photos in Dryden.
- 1 page where you try something exciting with the website. For example, set up a web cam or create an elaborate viewer questionairre or create a guest book.
- Content for the remaining page should explore a current issue relating to the use of websites and the internet. Are websites dead? What will the internet look like in the future? How do people use the internet? Additionally, you may choose any other topic as it relates to websites.
Overall, the finished product website must look polished. There should be no place on the site where there is place holder text.
Themes, header images, fonts and colours should be thought out and aesthetically pleasing. High resolution images should be used, text should be aligned appropriately and deliberately.
At the end of this assignment, you will be completing a reflection where you describe the decisions you made, and how you feel about the finished product.
Monday, April 10, 2017 –
Today we will be looking critically at websites –
You will ultimately be creating your own website by the end of this assignment, so you are to look critically at the following 4 platforms –
By the end of today or tomorrow, you should have attempted to create or familiarized yourself with each of these three platforms, and be able to rank them from 1-4 in terms of which platform you wish to use.
Begin by looking at some examples of websites –
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 – By the end of the day today, you should have written out a rough draft of what you plan to include in your podcast. Will you include intro music? How will you edit it?
Monday, March 27, 2017 –
Focus on podcasting –
History of Audio Recording –
How do we record sound digitally?
What are standard audio recording formats?
Wikipedia article, Audio file formats – Article
Wikipedia Podcasting article – Article
History of Radio – Article
An audio podcast can take on just about any topic or format. Today, we will take time to search and research what podcasts are available.
Ultimately, by the end of this week, you will be recording an audio podcast using online software such as the Trycast website, or on a computer using audacity or garage band.
Monday, March 20, 2017 –
Please complete the following four tasks :
- Extend your usage of youtube. You are to Create a playlist, Subscribe to at least 10 youtubers (search for youtubers who are popular and relevant to your interests,) comment on a video, give a video a thumbs up or thumbs down. Subscribe to as many people from this class as you feel comfortable with. Reflect on the experience in your culminating piece.
- Teach yourself a skill from a youtube video – Spend at least 30 minutes trying to teach yourself a skill from youtube – A card trick, a new song on guitar, or how to spin a ball on your finger, for example. Reflect on the experience in a culminating piece. ***Alternately, if you have a unique skill you’d like to share, you may make a polished video of you sharing the skill.
- Using a google news search, find at least 1 legal issue which has arisen from the use of youtube. The youtube article may pertain to copyright, privacy, or any range of issues. Obtain a copy of this news article for your own records, saved as a PDF on your Z: drive. Reflect on this article in your culminating piece.
- Explore the concept of youtube fame. Reflect on 1 individual who you consider youtube famous, and “where they are now.” Has this individual’s youtube fame lead to long term success?
- Investigate in depth and be able to explain one of
(a) How to monetize a youtube account, what is required, what levels of profit can be gained from youtube. What is the future of youtube in terms of monetization for individuals?
(b) How copyright works with youtube, How youtube blocks certain viewers and certain devices. What is the future in terms of copyright restrictions on youtube videos?
6. At this point in time, you have had your youtube account for at least 1 month. View the viewer statistics for your youtube page thus far. Reflect on this.
Wednesday, March 8, 2017 –
By the end of today, you should have your three images from Monday, plus try to upload a photo where you have used the :
Monday, March 6, 2017 –
Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Indesign – Digging a little deeper.
Today, we will be looking at Adobe Photoshop and Indesign. By the end of this assignment, you are to post 3 finished .jpgs to your flickr account.
1 – Making selections in photoshop – See Here – You are to create a new photo, where you have selected at least 4 other objects and placed them on a new photo. Try to create a central theme in your selecting – for example, selecting 4 different hockey players and having them all on the same rink.
2. Creatively using filters in photoshop – See here – You are to create a new photo, where you have applied a filter. Experiment with different photos and different filters.
3. Creating a watermark in photoshop – See here – You are to create a watermark, and post one photo with the watermark on it.
Extension activity 1 – 3D pixel stretch effect – Create a neat 3D stretch effect by selecting a single line marquee Tool
Extension activity 2 – Basic Vexel Image – Create a vector based graphic out of a photo, this is 23 steps and requires a lot of patience!
Wednesday, February 22, 2017 –
Today, we will be starting our first video project.
As a videographer, you may sometimes find yourself in a position where you are using video to persuade public opinion and behaviour.
For this assignment, you are to choose a charitable or compassionate cause of your choice.
You are to create a video which conveys a positive and informative message in regards to your cause. The video should inform the viewer :
what the cause is
who is affected by the cause
how people can help
You are to use the video equipment in the classroom and your own personal devices and phones.
Try to include at least 2 different types of cuts in your film.
To start : View 8 essential cuts in film
By the end of the day today, you should 1) have a group chosen 2) have a short list of causes you may wish to do a video of 3) have reviewed other examples of videos specifically helping your causes.
Wednesday, February 15, 2017 –
By the end of today, you are to :
- Have a hard copy printed of your light painting, multiplicity and reflection photos, as well as your written reflection. This is to be all attached to a larger piece of paper to create a larger body of work. Ensure your name is on your assignment, either front or back and place on the black wheeled cart.
- Have digital copies of your 3 photos uploaded to your flickr account.
- Create your own youtube channel – This will consist of logging in to youtube using your k12.kpdsb account. Give your channel a catchy name.
- Go on a video walk – Using the cameras in the classroom, start to build your video portfolio by taking stock video clips around the classroom and school. Ensure you leave yourself enough time to upload these clips to your Z: drive at the end of class.
Wednesday, February 8, 2017 –
Multiplicity, Light Painting, Reflection and reflection.
Today, we will get started on our first assignment. This assignment will consist of you creating a finished piece of light painting, a finished multiplicity composure, and a photo where you display light reflecting. At the end of this, you will write a 50 word reflection.
I will instruct you on light painting and reflection. The instructions for the multiplicity photo are below. 1st deadline – Monday, February 13.
Tuesday, January 31, 2017 –
Search google for the following images, and make mental notes of what each photo looks like :
Photo with slow shutter
Photo with fast shutter
Photo with small aperture
Photo with large aperture
Light painting photo
Finally, Visit flickr.com and create an account if you do not already have one.
January 30, 2017 –
January 30, 2017 – Write an email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
In this email, please include copy and paste the following :
Name and number of communications devices available to you :
Communications device you prefer the most :
On a scale 1 to 10 what is your comfort level with learning new electronics :
(1 not very comfortable, 10 very comfortable)
On a scale of 1 to 10, what is your ability to work unsupervised
(1 not able, irresponsible, 10 very comfortable and responsible)
By the end of this course, One thing I definitely want to accomplish is :