January 6, 2016 –
Today you will start your end task by reflecting on 5 of your favourite or most interesting photos. This reflection should touch on the following :
Composition of the photo (you can get the exact details off flickr)
Your own thoughts on the photo
Feedback you have received on the photo.
These reflections are not due today and after you have worked on at least 2, you may take a camera to continue building your photo portfolio – especially with snowy photos.
January 4, 2016 – Photo Caption links
Northwest Scholastic Press – http://nwscholasticpress.org/2012/09/30/follow-these-simple-techniques-to-write-the-perfect-caption-every-time-to-intrigue-inform-readers-2/
Writing Photo captions – http://web.ku.edu/~edit/captions.html
December 8, 2015 – Today, you will continue to work on your video project.
Remember, we will be wrapping this up on Friday, so you should have video captured, and be well in to the editing process by the end of the day Thursday.
Remember, this is a video promoting battery recycling within the school. As a refresher, it is to be :
- 30 – 60 seconds long
- have at least 4 different takes, with transitions
- incorporate some additional music.
December 1, 2015 –
Today, your first priority is to create a .jpg of your info graphic (the fishing regulations assignment) and post it to your flickr account.
Next, you will start your first video project. As a communications technology class, we are going to make informative videos about the need to recycle batteries in the school, and in the community.
You will start by researching the following questions :
- Why do we recycle batteries?
- How do we recycle batteries?
Be able to answer these questions, in your own language, as best you can. You can talk over these questions with your elbow mate.
Once you have researched this, begin planning exactly what a short (less than 30 seconds) video would look like, that is promoting the recycling of household batteries. We will begin filming this tomorrow (wednesday.) You may work in a group of up to 4 people. If you must have a group of 5, we may discuss this on wednesday.
November 24, 2015 –
In addition to finishing your info graphic, here are some additional responsibilities –
- Take 2 (or more) of your best photos that have not been printed and put in the hallways yet. Using photoshop, add your water mark in a subtle fashion to the photo. Save a copy of the image and then place (ctrl + d) it in an indesign document set at tabloid size. Export the photo to a USB drive and print it on the classroom colour printer.
- Take at least 1 photo you have taken and place your water mark on it. Save a copy of this photo and attach it in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This photo will now appear during breaks in programming at shaw cable.
November 13, 2015 –
Today is Friday the 13th – your task today is to create an image, using photoshop, that displays supersticious imagery.
Try new tools in photoshop to accomplish this and try your best to illustrate a supersticion. When done, post your image to your flickr account.
November 5, 2015 –
At this point, all students have had the opportunity to take photos at second chance, and research the criteria for good calendar photos.
Today, Travis Wallin will create a group called ‘calendar photos.’ You will then add your 5 best photos to this group. Once you have done this, start providing feedback to each other on the photos by liking and commenting. We will determine which photos are included in the calendar based upon the feedback you provide. If Travis is not present, Ms. Marin will delegate another student. This is an opportunity for you to problem solve as a group!
We will be taking photos tomorrow.
September 29, 2015 –
Your task today is to Search on Youtube for high school sports. Starting Thursday, we will start webcasting our court sports, and you are to search youtube for high school sports, and develop criteria of what you would look for in a high school sports broadcast.
Tomorrow, we will learn about how we will be webcasting.
When completed, students are to continue uploading and editing through their personal flickr portfolios.
September 25, 2015
Your task today is to do 3 things :
- Take control of your inbox. If you have an email account that constantly gets flooded with spam, junk, and mailing lists that you have signed up for, your task today is to unsubscribe from these services, or otherwise “take control” of your inbox. You will have to go to your security settings for services such as facebook, twitter and instagram in order to do this.
- Look at the flickr 20 under 20 by accessing your flickr account, on the top menu there will be the option for explore –> 20 under 20. Pick 3 photograph angles or techniques you would like to explore before the end of this course. We will discuss these in class next week.
- Continue to label, organize and publish your photo portfolio on flickr. Tag any photos you have of Mr. Darling.
September 18, 2015
Today, you have 3 tasks –
- Change the name of at least 10 of your photos (the name will be img_303, for example) to a word or phrase that describes the photo.
- Comment on at least 5 photos taken by your classmates. Please keep these comments respectful, positive reinforcement to what your classmates have done.
- Send an email to Mr. Darling at email@example.com In this email, you are to tell Mr. Darling 2 things : (a) Are there any photographic techniques you specifically want to learn in the next 3 weeks? (b) Are there any locations, that are within walking distance of the school, that you would like to use for a photo walk in the future?
Have a great day! Go Eagles Go!
September 16, 2015
Today, you are to create an album of your photos on flickr called “described photos”. In this album, you are to choose at least 3 photos to be in the album.
For each of these photos, you are to add a description, a location, and at least 2 tags on these photos.
When you have completed this, you are to add as many of their classmates as possible as contacts on flickr, so students can start reviewing each others work.
By the end of today, all of your photos should be neatly organized on flickr, including your “described photos” album, and the folders in your Z drive should be appropriately named.
September 8 – Day 5
Today, you should have a flickr account. Once you have made this account, please make 2 galleries –
Photographic techniques gallery – In this gallery, you will look for photos that display the following :
Places Gallery –
The milky way
A full moon
The reversing falls
The Grand Canyon
The planet Earth
The planet Saturn
The World Trade Center (pre-9-11)
CF-18 fighter jet
The Snow Birds
1971 Opel Car
The Hollywood sign
2 photos of your own choice, that you consider to be interesting photos.
When you have completed these, you are to begin planning a large scale photographic project for the semester. This could take any shape or form.
September 1 – Day 1
Today, after we perform our classroom orientation and build some classroom community,
September 2 – Day 2.
Your first task is to send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In this email, please communicate the following :
Your @k12.kpdsb.ca email address.
Do you use this email regularly?
If there is an email that you use more frequently, please provide it.
What grade do you wish to achieve in communications technology?
Name 1 safety precaution that is necessary for communications technology.
send to email@example.com
What is a pixel? – link
Image size and resolution.
Image Size – link
Iphone Photo sizes – link