FALL 2018 – TGJ 3O0 – Block B
December 8, 2019 –
Your end task this year will consist of 4 components –
Communications Portfolio, including printed copies of best 5-10 photos.
Communications Exploration – Attempting a new technique, or attempting to improve upon a technique
Communications collaboration – Working together with minimum 1 other student to complete a communications piece.
Communications reflection – Share your thoughts on Privacy, Copyright and any other communications issue or event.
Daily work log. – Record your work completed on a daily basis.
Communications Portfolio – Share your flickr account and youtube account in an email to Mr. Darling. In the email, include the following information :
# of photos in your flickr account
# of albums in your flickr account
# of videos in your youtube account
#of viewers and subscribers in your youtube account (this is not a competition!)
In addition to the emailed portfolio, you are to print out 5-10 of your best photos (or video screenshots) to be shared in the hallways of the school.
Communications Exploration – Wether you are interested in, or need some prompting, you will explore a new technique (or attempt to improve upon a technique you know). This can be anything in the communications spectrum, including but not limited to : Photography, Video, Audio, Photo editing, Cell phone communication.
Communications Collaboration – This is your opportunity to display your teamwork skills! Choose a communication procedure that will work with your group of 2 or more people. The work of all group members must be evident in the finished product.
Communications reflection – This is your opportunity to reflect on the state of communications in 2019. You may use this as a reflection on how much communications have changed in the last 10 years. You may also use this as an opportunity to rant or vent about something communications related that bothers or annoys you. This may be done in a written, Video, Audio or photo(collage) type finished product.
Time frame : Starts today, January 8. Must be complete by Friday, January 25. 14 days to complete the above tasks. There will be a daily work log you must complete as well.
December 17, 2018
Today, we will start using Communications Technology to start spreading holiday cheer within the school and community.
Using the prompts presented to you today, Brainstorm in a group or individually about creating a video or photo arrangement that helps spread the cheerful messages of the holidays.
For instance, a video could be a series of interviews, asking different people what they are looking forward to about Christmas. A video could also be a dance routine to a popular Christmas song. Also, popular scenes from Christmas movies may be used.
A photo could be a re-creation of a famous Christmas photo, or you may attempt to make a family christmas photo in front of a christmas tree, either in the school or in the community. Also, a series of photos of “greatest christmas lights” could be used.
You will see christmas cheer being spread through many different communications technology methods, try to contribute your skill and creativity into making a great product.
December 10, 2018 – Photography assignments.
Choose one of the following photography assignments for this week –
- Glass bottle assignment. Using the glass bottles provided in class, experiment with taking photos of the object. Choose your favourite 3 photos of the bottles, that have turned out the way you like them. Publish these photos to your flickr account, and print the photos out using adobe indesign on 11×17 paper.
- 50/15/5 – Over the next 3 days, take 50 photos per day. Save all of your photos and select down to your “top 15.” After you have chosen your top 15, select 5 that you will print out on 11×17 inch paper, each with your name and a caption.
- Arms length assignment – For this assignment, the subject of all of your photos must be within arms reach of you while you are taking the photo – You must be able to touch it. Take at least 5 photos a day and choose your favourite 4 to print out on 11×17 inch paper.
- Teenage nightmare – Ask a classmate to describe a nightmare they have had to you. Record at least 3 significant details of the nightmare on paper and confirm their accuracy with your classmate. Over the next 3 days, document that dream using a single photo – you may use photoshop. Print your finished product on 11×17 inch paper.
- The empowered portrait – Enable an individual to create their own portrait through you (and your skills as a photographer). Ask the subject to think about how they would like to represent themselves. Without taking charge of the photographic conversation, empower the subject to make their own previsualization and choose a representation, a reality. Support this vision in the photograph you make together. During the process, think about how your own thoughts and ideas of a portrait of this subject differ from their own. Print at least 1, or up to 3 photos that you produce, on 11×17 inch paper.
- Planning to edit – Take photos with the intention of editing them. Take at least 10 photos per day for the next 3 days, print your top 3 photos.
- If none of these ideas work for you, try to adapt one to video.
You will have this week, december 9 – 13 to complete this.
November 13, 2018 –
Today, we will start with a creativity project. Over the next 2 weeks, you are to complete 3 of the following communication technology assignments. Daily check ins will be done to ensure you are progressing effectively. If you have an idea that is not listed here, please feel free to attempt it, just ask your teacher first –
Explore further the controls available on the Canon Cameras in the class, including : White Balance and HDR shooting.
Take a series of photos that you feel documents life in Dryden in 2018
Take a series of photos that follows any theme
Create a mosaic photo by taking individual photos of different pieces
Create a stop motion video : 10 photos per second minimum
Create a video that explores cell phone culture
Create a video that is entirely you having a conversation with yourself (may play different characters)
Create a video that extensively uses a green screen
Create a video that extensively uses video filters
Using the “Trailers” option of iMovie, create a trailer for a movie, real or imagined.
Create a podcast or a series of podcasts
Create a library of “DHS sound effects”
Scan a damaged photo and use photoshop tools to preserve it
Scan a collection of family or historical photos and publish them to the web or flickr
You may work on these projects independently or as part of a group.
November 12, 2018 – Reflection day
Today, you will share your video with class – Silent Film.
Following this, you will reflect with your group members on the film. This is a formal reflection, and will be submitted and posted in class.
Your reflection should include the following :
A screenshot of your video
Concepts you feel you learned or attempted for the first time
Concepts you feel you have mastered
Best practices, moving forward, for your next group work.
This is to be completed using Adobe Indesign – If you need help getting your screenshot into indesign, just ask!
November 6, 2018 –
The content of your silent film will be a response to something else happening. Your silent film should allow your viewer to guess “what had happened.
For instance :
- You lost your phone
- You won a contest
- You caught a big fish
- You just had a break-up
- Someone said “Yes” to you for snowball
- Other ideas considered
November 5, 2018 – Silent Movies
Today, we will start to examine the process of creating a silent film. Let’s start by discussing what the characteristics of a silent film are :
-Music may be added to enhance atmosphere
By the end of today, you should be familiar with silent films, and start getting ideas of what you could make.
November 2, 2018 – Today, we will be embarking on a 1 day photo assignment.
By the end of today, you will :
Take a photo and print it on 11×17 paper, including your watermark if you have one.
Those who are looking for a challenge will print 2.
The highest achieving students will attempt a photo with the following settings :
Shutter : 1/250
Aperature : f22
ISO : 100
These settings allow you to create a neat “black background” effect.
October 30, 2018 –
Explore the online graphic design software at canva.com Create an appropriate poster to go along with the video you shared with the class yesterday.
Students who feel Canva is too limiting should try using Adobe Indesign.
You should be able to get a poster printed by the end of the period.
October 16, 2018 –
Your first assignment is to create a 1 minute video using one of the ideas mentioned in class.
Your video is complete when you have submitted 3 things :
- Storyboard sheet
- 3 printed screen shots from your video
- Link to video, posted to youtube
You should start with completing your storyboard sheet.
October 1, 2018 –
Communications Technology is not something that operates in isolation. Therefore, today we will start with our first group assignment. You will choose a group of up to 4 people to work together with on the following 3 part assignment:
Group Assignment 1 – Photography
a) _____________ of Dryden. (bridges, schools, roads, people, sunsets, sunrises etc.)
In your group, decide upon a feature of Dryden which you could make a collage of, using photographs. You will create a collage that is aesthetically pleasing, and includes a descriptive label for each of the photos shown. The collage should have a minimum of 5 photos, and each member of the group should contribute at least 1 photo. This collage is to be created on a minimum 11×17 sized paper, but may be larger.
b) Photo Editing/Altering/ Retouching portfolio
Using Adobe Photoshop, each member of the group is to Edit a photo using Adobe Photoshop. Each member will choose different editing techniques. Finished product will include the original photograph and the altered photograph, each printed on 8.5 x 11 paper. A caption will also be included, which details the steps taken and the desired finished product.
c) Group work reflection (done individually)
In this reflection, you are to express a first response to the following points :
- explain the value of sharing ideas, information, resources, and expertise when working in a group setting.
- describe techniques that encourage participation by all members of a team (e.g., brainstorming, group discussion, celebration of others’ thought or contributions)
This assignment has a soft deadline of Thursday, October 4.
In addition, we will have our first quiz for this course on Friday, October 5. This quiz will include vocabulary, diagram labeling, camera function, and safety.
September 26, 2018 –
Watermark for photos tutorial – Click Here
Blending photos using photoshop tutorial – Click Here
By the end of today, Students should have created a watermark for their photos, and attempted to blend two photos together using the tutorial above. THis is a beginning to your work with photoshop
September 25, 2018 –
Today will be our first day working with Adobe Photoshop –
By the end of today, you should be comfortable with –
Making basic adjustments to a photo
Cropping a photo
Using Selection tools
Using Clone stamp tools
September 24, 2018 –
- Complete assignment from last week
- Organize flickr account into albums, change cover image, change avatar photo, add some custom “About” text.
- New Assignment – Mirrors
Mirrors are great yet underappreciated helpers in photography. They provide unique capabilty of looking at things from different angles, at the same time often offering a visually appealing frame.
So let’s take a picture of primary subject mirrored in a, well, mirror. Mirror frame should play a constructive part in your image and hopefully fill the image frame. Try to avoid cliches (like car mirror shots), unless you introduce some brave new idea to it.
Let’s mirror! Try to use more than 1 mirror if possible.
Once you have completed a mirror shot, you are to print your photo on 8.5 x 11 “letter” sized paper and include a caption.
September 17, 2018 – At this point, all students should be comfortable with camera usage, file transfers, and uploading to a cloud based storage (flickr.)
Today, we will start our first technical assignment of the year – Light Painting.
Light painting is accomplished by setting a camera to a slow shutter speed (5 seconds or more), setting the camera on the tripod, and using a light source in front of the camera. This procedure should be done in darkness, or near darkness.
There are multiple examples of light painting to be found online. Your finished product will include 1 photo
A rubric will follow, but your assignment will be graded on the following :
Aesthetics of overall project
Technical proficiency – Camera
Technical proficency – Post production (printing)
2 Captions – 1 technical, 1 photographer’s choice.
A rubric will follow.
September 6, 2018 – Your first task for this course is to send an email to the teacher, Mr. Darling, at email@example.com In this email, please copy and paste the following questions, and then answer to the best of your ability.
- Do you publish videos, photos, songs or writing on the internet at this point? If yes, do you wish to share your youtube account/ instagram account/ website at this point?
- List three general rules for safety that you feel would apply to the communications technology classroom.
3. Why is it important to follow guidelines on appropriate content in a high school communications technology classroom?
Copy and paste these questions, and answer in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org